Patient and Family Advisory Councils
What is a patient and family advisor?
A patient and family advisor:
- Wants to help enhance care for patients and family members at Prisma Health.
- Is an expert based on their experiences and, as such, provide feedback to the organization.
- Volunteers their time (usually two hours monthly, but no more than four hours monthly).
Participating on the Patient and Family Advisory Councils (PFAC) requires no special qualifications. The most valuable contribution that our advisors bring to the table is their personal experiences and willingness to share.
“Being a PFAC member provides an avenue for me to make a positive difference in people’s lives by developing relationships with other council members, team members in the organization and patients. I have been able to offer a perspective that would otherwise not be heard by decisionmakers. In this time of rapid change and uncertainty, I believe the patient and family voice is critical.” – PFAC member
What do patient and family advisors do?
- Share their story. Advisors provide perspective by sharing their healthcare experiences with administrators, clinicians and other team members.
- Participate in discussion groups. Advisors add a unique perspective about what it’s like to be a patient or family member in the healthcare environment.
- Help with educational material. Advisors review and provide content feedback on materials that patients and family members receive.
- Work on short-term projects. Advisors collaborate with healthcare team members on projects that impact the patient and family experience.
- Serve on a Patient and Family Advisory Council. Facility-based Patient and Family Advisory Councils meet monthly and are the impetus for much of the work and collaboration done among patients, family members and healthcare team members.
Patient and family advisors provide a crucial voice and impact processes that ultimately touch those who receive care at Prisma Health.
If you are interested in serving on a Patient and Family Advisory Council, please complete this application.