Prisma Health adds 24/7 On-Demand Video Visits in the Midlands
COLUMBIA, S.C.—Prisma Health is proud to have recently expanded on-demand video visits for minor conditions with its providers to 24 hours a day. The extended service offering reflects Prisma Health’s continued commitment to elevating the patient experience, as well as an acceleration in virtual care offerings that have proven vital in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. As the leader in emergency medicine in South Carolina, Prisma Health’s 24/7 on-demand video visits are a natural extension and progression in caring for patients by meeting them where they are.
“Prisma Health has been accelerating the availability of our virtual services throughout the past year and we are pleased to make this 24-hour capability available to patients looking for real-time care in the Midlands,” said Matthew Bitner, MD, Chair of Emergency Medicine at Prisma Health in the Upstate. “As many parts of our state continue to manage risks associated with COVID-19 cases, the virtual visits give patients increased access to our healthcare professionals whether they are a COVID-19 patient recovering at home or have minor sickness or acute care needs.”
As part of Prisma Health’s continued commitment to patient care, this expanded service offers many benefits:
- Patients can access Prisma Health 24/7 virtual without having to present to an Emergency Department for minor conditions. While this does not replace the Emergency Department for major emergencies, the service is particularly valuable as the COVID-19 pandemic is still prevalent.
- If a patient is traveling, they can use this service to access a Prisma Health provider, as opposed to going to a local urgent care that is outside the system and possibly out of network.
- Prisma Health providers are the ones manning this service, which is unique to the Midlands. If additional care is needed, they can easily access different arms of Prisma Health from a knowledgeable member of the team.
“Patients are being seen by a healthcare professional that is living, practicing and caring for South Carolinians. They are the same healthcare professionals you would see at our emergency and urgent care facilities, and they can connect with patients on a different level,” said Troy Privette, MD, vice chair of operations, Emergency Medicine in the Midlands “We’re also creating a seamless transition to the many other services of Prisma Health for patients who need continued care.”
Patients wishing to participate in an on-demand video visit can get access through their MyChart portal. The visits are available to all ages. This service is also available in the Upstate. Learn more at PrismaHealth.org/VirtualCare.
About Prisma Health
Prisma Health is a not-for-profit health company and the largest healthcare system in South Carolina. With nearly 30,000 team members, 18 hospitals, 2,947 beds and more than 300 physician practice sites, Prisma Health serves more than 1.2 million unique patients annually. Its goal is to improve the health of all South Carolinians by enhancing clinical quality, the patient experience and access to affordable care, as well as conducting clinical research and training the next generation of medical professionals. For more information, visit PrismaHealth.org.
- Prisma Health Baptist Parkridge Hospital named 2020 Leapfrog Top General Hospital
- Prisma Health Baptist Parkridge Hospital achieves Magnet recognition, the highest national honor for nursing excellence
- Prisma Health is bringing hospital-level care into patients' homes in the Midlands
- Prisma Health Fertility Center of the Carolinas opens new office in Midlands
- Prisma Health Breast Health Center in Sumter receives ACR accreditation renewal