Prisma Health achieves national recognition in U.S. News and World Report and Newsweek’s annual best maternity hospitals rankings
Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital in nation’s top 50 hospitals for gynecology
GREENVILLE, S.C. — Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital has been ranked one of the top 50 hospitals in the nation for gynecology, according to the U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals Rankings released this week.
Prisma Health also was ranked as high-performing in several other specialties and procedures, including cardiology, colon cancer surgery and orthopedics. High-performing hospitals fall in the top 10% of hospitals analyzed for this report, according to U.S. News and World Report.
Prisma Health hospitals and specialties recognized by U.S. News and World Report include:
- Prisma Health Baptist Hospital (Columbia, S.C.) – high-performing in knee replacement, hip replacement, colon cancer surgery.
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital (Greenville, S.C.) – top 50 in gynecology, high-performing in heart failure, colon cancer surgery, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Prisma Health Patewood Hospital (Greenville, S.C.) – high performing in knee replacement, hip replacement.
- Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital (Seneca, S.C.) – high performing in heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Prisma Health Richland Hospital (Columbia, S.C.) – high performing in heart failure, COPD.
- Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital (Sumter, S.C.) – high performing in heart failure, COPD.
The national rankings take into account exceptional care for high-risk patients, expertise of clinical staff, availability of advanced clinical technologies and patient experience.
“On behalf of all of us in the department–doctors, nurses, midwives and sonographers–we are absolutely thrilled to be recognized again this year as a national leader in Obstetrics and Gynecology and to bring that recognition home to South Carolina,” said Kacey Eichelberger, MD, chair of obstetrics and gynecology for Prisma Health–Upstate. “Exceptional care for women is what drives us – it’s who we are and why we show up for work every day. We are so grateful for all of our patients who trust us to deliver their babies, perform their surgeries and walk with them through the course of their lives.”
In addition, three Prisma Health hospitals were ranked among the Best Maternity Hospitals nationally, according to Newsweek’s annual list which includes 231 hospitals across 36 states. Newsweek partnered with The Leapfrog Group, a national nonprofit organization that reports on the safety and quality performance of U.S. health care facilities.
Prisma Health maternity hospitals recognized by Newsweek include:
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital (Greenville, S.C.)
- Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital (Seneca, S.C.)
- Prisma Health Laurens County Hospital (Clinton, S.C.)
“These recognitions demonstrate our commitment to excellence in care delivery,” said Angelo Sinopoli, MD, chief clinical officer of Prisma Health. “Our patients interact with us at many touchpoints across the system. No matter where they meet us, these honors demonstrate that we have the breadth and depth of expertise to help them achieve a better state of health.”
U.S. News & World Report analyzed data collected from nearly 5,000 medical centers to compile its annual Best Hospitals rankings.
A panel of national experts advised Leapfrog on standards for excellence in maternity care. The facilities cited by Newsweek as Best Maternity Hospitals 2020 are an elite group demonstrating excellence in maternity care.
About Prisma Health
Prisma Health is a not-for-profit health company and the largest healthcare system in South Carolina. With nearly 30,000 team members, 18 hospitals, 2,984 beds and more than 300 physician practice sites, Prisma Health serves more than 1.2 million unique patients annually. Its goal is to improve the health of all South Carolinians by enhancing clinical quality, the patient experience and access to affordable care, as well as conducting clinical research and training the next generation of medical professionals. For more information, visit PrismaHealth.org.